Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Day at the Beach

This morning we woke up and decided it was a beach day.  I officially got my first sunburn, and quite a few of us are more red-tinted than when we left this morning. We spent several hours laying out, swimming in the ocean, playing volleyball, and talking on the beach.  It was a peaceful day except for the constant stream of Kenyan’s nagging us to buy something from them.  You can’t even lay on the beach without someone asking if you want a coconut, keychain, or henna tattoo.  Eventually we made our way up to the beach bar and got some tropical drinks then walked home.  We were very sandy so most of us showered before dinner.  Mia, a student who roomed with us, was leaving today so we waited to go to dinner until her car was here to take her to the airport.  It was hard seeing her leave because she helped us out so much when we first got here and we became friends so fast.  Mia leaving also sparked the feeling of someone getting to go home so I think a lot of us had home on our minds today.  Once we said our goodbyes we made our way to a local Italian restaurant named Robertos.  I ate pizza again because I’m really craving random American food like mac and cheese and onion rings. Haha! We’re back at the compound now and everyone is updating their blogs or contacting their family.  I think tomorrow I’m ready to be back in the hospital although I had a nice recuperating weekend. Sorry for the briefness…that’s all for now!

Mustache sign on the way to the beach?

my view from the spot on the beach

3 comments:

  1. Hi...Good to see your toes in the sand. Wherever there is an ocean and white sand, toes should be bare, and toenails should be painted pink.I'm glad you are taking some time to enjoy the tourist side of Kenya.
    Love you....MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mustache sign!! Beach looks amazing with the white sand :) glad your excited to get back to the hospital! Ps I started another 2000 piece puzzle... Oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that you needed an emotional break. I know I would. So I am glad you got to relax. I love reading your blog! It is so interesting. I love the pictures so keep those coming. Could you take a pic of your whole group? I think I know more of them than I originally noticed. I hope that your days continue to get better. Have fun! If I were you I would start a journal if you haven't already bc you do not want to forget all the memories, experiences, and thoughts you are having while so far from home. Since the culture is so incredibly different. Stuff like that is hard to describe to people in the states when you return bc it is so emotional. Again, I am so happy that you went on this trip. I wish I was there!! I love you. And trust me it is boring here so love it while your there!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete