Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday!

It’s Friday! Thank goodness. Last night we stayed in Casualty until about 1 am.  There was a bus accident and three people wounded from that. Right away when I got there I introduced myself to the nurses and tried to butter them up to like me so that they would actually let me do something.  They had me run some errands which was good because it kept me busy and then they had me check vital signs.  The ward was well staffed last night compared to a couple nights ago and it seemed like people were actually doing their jobs.  One thing that bothered me was one of the doctors refused to see this woman who was moaning, throwing up, and unresponsive because she “needs to shower first” and because “she’s a bum.” I don’t care who the patient is, I just believe everyone should be able to have healthcare.  Sadly one of the students who worked till 7am today said that as we were leaving she fell onto the floor and another student reported she was still there this morning when she checked into the hospital. 

This morning I decided to do something a little different.  One of the students here is a founder of a medical aid group called International Medical Aid.  He travels around the world with doctors and other students and holds clinics to improve certain aspects of health.  This morning his group was going to a village orphanage/school to teach the children about washing their hands and brushing their teeth.  When we arrived it had rained the night before and the streets into the village were made out of dirt.  Everything was so muddy that we instantly were stuck.  The kids laughed as a group of “mzungas” were pushing the van out of the mud.  We finally got out and walked up to the school house as we were arrived with smiles and welcome.  Everyone was so happy to see us and we entered the school house and the children lined up and started singing.  It was so cute because they had actions and everything.  After they sang we shook their hands and said hello and they started pushing each other just to touch your hands.  Instantly a couple children latched onto my hands and took me outside.  We sat them down again and demonstrated how to use a tooth brush because they had been using sticks.  After demonstrating that, we showed them how to wash their hands as well.  We passed out suckers (slightly counterproductive in regards to teeth brushing), tooth brushes, tooth paste, and soap.  They were so happy it was relieving to see something different than the hospital setting.  After everything had been passed out we played games with them.  I’m not sure what the game is called but they taught it to us.  They also played a game comparable to duck, duck, goose. 
                                                               our stuck van

The sign into their school was handwritten and had a slogan underneath reading “Through perseverance we shall succeed.”  I found this to be one of the most inspiration things I have seen yet in Africa. Although their school house had no desks inside, just a tin hut with dirt floors it wasn’t something negative that weighted down the student’s spirit.  They were genuinely happy so who cares how the place they were learning looked like.
                                                              the school house

Soon it was time to go. We took some last minute pictures and they loved having their pictures taken.  If you would bring out a camera, about a dozen dark faces would crowd yours in order to be in the picture.  It was so precious and I wanted to take every one of them home. We loaded up the vans and said goodbye. Today was a rewarding day for me and a great way to end the week.  The memories of today will stay with me and I’m humbled to have been able to experience it. 
                                                          one of the cutest babies ever

Next we headed out to eat at Café Mocha, and I had been craving pizza and it was delicious.  We made our way back to the house and talked in the main room with the other students.  Tomorrow we have a day off from the hospital so many of us are going to a place called Old Town where there are little shops and vendors have their products to sell.   My post today is pretty short but I’m posting a lot of pictures because I think sometimes they can speak louder than what I can describe to you myself.  Enjoy!
                                             the group of kids and us students

                                             the game the kids taught us
                                                playing with the kids


2 comments:

  1. Loved the pictures! I think students here should see the picture of the school there. Perhaps some wouldn't complain so much. Keep up the good work. Love those who are less fortunate than us and learn and respect their ways. I saw that a Kenyan won the 800 meter run and broke the world record yesterday. I bet the country is going crazy over that. Good for him and Kenya. I'll see you at the end of the month...Love you...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete