Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thursday, Another Day at the Hospital

Today I’d like to dedicate my blog post to my mom.  I had the privilege of observing three C-sections this morning and I can’t put into words how much admiration I have towards mothers.  Mom, since I know you’re reading this, thank you for still loving me after what you had to go through to bring me into the world.  This morning, Chelsea, Mia and I made our way to the maternity wing and up to Millennium Theatre where all the surgeries take place.  We put on caps and masks, changed our scrubs and shoes and were excited to observe.  A nurse ushered us into the surgical room which was very clean and much different compared to the rest of the hospital. All of the C-Sections today were emergency cases so we knew we would get to see some interesting things. We entered as the baby was being taken out of the room.  Unfortunately the baby had not made it because the mother was diabetic.  The doctor said that the mother had been pregnant three times before and none had survived. My heart sank, I was hoping for an easy day filled with new life and the morning was not starting out promising.  We observed as the doctors proceeded to clean out the placenta and uterus.  Another complication arose because the uterus wall was too thin and could rupture if put back inside the woman.  The doctors decided that her uterus needed to be taken out.  I can’t explain the amount of blood being suctioned out of this very petite woman. My heart sank even further as I realized this mother would wake up from surgery with no baby, but also no uterus meaning she has no possibility of having a child in the future. I suddenly started feeling hot and didn’t know if I would faint or need to sit down.  I took some deep breaths and regained control as they extracted her uterus.  After that the surgeon cleaned her internally checking for parts of the placenta and began suturing her shut. Soon, the power went out.  Everything went dark and about two minutes later the power kicked on.  My grandma mentioned I might want to bring a flashlight, and that would have been a great time to have one.  The surgeon continued and he sutured and sutured until all that was left was an eight inch scar vertically running down her stomach. We stepped out as they dressed the patient’s wound and waited to talk with the surgeon.  He met us and told us about her complications and assured us the next patient would be much simpler.

                                               All Ready for Surgery!!

The second woman who was having a Caesarian section proceeded much faster.  We didn’t get to see the first incision in the first surgery so that was also another shock.  The doctor made his first incision cutting through the skin and the fat on the woman’s abdomen.  Once that was clear the doctors moved the muscle then made a small incision into the uterus.  The next part was unexpected and gruesome to me.  The doctor took on side of the incision while the nurse took the other and both pulled the woman’s uterus until it ripped open.  The sound is indescribable and stomach-dropping but the only thing I could compare it to would be the sound of someone ripping a t-shirt. The reason they do this is so that the body can heal itself better and more efficiently versus the incision made by the blade.  The doctor reached his hand into the uterus, felt around and pulled out the baby’s head.  Next came out the shoulders and then finally the rest of the body.  Instantly the baby wailed and I could feel my body relax.  It was like I held my breath as the baby came out while in my mind I was repeating “please let it be alive, please.”  It was truly a miracle.  Everyone cheered when the doctor said it’s a girl, and the nurse took the baby out of the operating room to care for it as we finished with the mother. 

The final birth was also expected to have some complications but it went pretty well.  The same procedure took place but this time a baby boy was produced.  When the doctor pulled out the baby it looked blue, but he turned it upside down holding it by the feet and patted its back when it soon let out its cry. The only interesting thing about this case was that the uterus was huge.  The doctors sutured it up outside the body while it rested on her stomach.  It was so large that it was comparable to a small cooked chicken.  They sewed it up then pushed it back inside, it really was incredible. We left as they were closing up because it was after lunch time.

                                           One of the miracles born today! :)

We then went down to minor theatre to meet up with some of the other students so we could go to lunch.  They were working on a debridement of the hand which means they had to cut off the dead skin with infection in order for the area to heal correctly.  While we were waiting a man needed his catheter changed so Mia showed me how to do that.  It was extremely painful for him and he was an older man.  This usually implies that the man has a problem with his prostate, which does not allow the catheter to work properly. We took out the catheter and consulted one of the interns.  We then told him he would need to have a suprapubic catheter surgically put in.  These catheters are different because they go through the stomach directly to the bladder. We finished up with him and waited for the rest of the students then left for lunch.  I think most of us are going back later tonight to work in Casualty but for now I’m planning on catching a nap. Thanks everyone for the comments on the blog. I love seeing comments and knowing that people are reading what I’m writing about.          

                                        A sketchy strecher in Maternity

2 comments:

  1. Hi...A very moving entry. You are having some amazing experiences--Some very difficult and some joyous. I'm not sure I would have the stomach for what you are doing. The picture of the baby is adorable. Keep the faith. Love you..Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared some of your stories with the Summer Bridge students today. They were shocked to hear about what it is like over there. I hope you experience many more miracles over there. Have a great rest of your day!!! I LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete