Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Last Day in Germany

Today was a pretty mellow day.  Half of our group got up early and caught a tour of Frankfurt on a double-decker open topped bus.  We saw the areas around the main train station where we hadn’t walked to because it was too far away. The main train station in Frankfurt is huuuuge.  There are over 1000 trains per day leaving from the station and it is filled with restaurants, shops, trains of course, and pigeons.  I’m not a fan of the birds everywhere inside the station; they get so close to people and fly right at your head.

The Main Train Staion in Frankfurt
After we were done with the short tour we got off the bus and explored some of the local shopping areas.  I got some great souvenirs for friends and family. I got my brother a few things so hopefully he likes them. J  For lunch we ate Burger King because we were so hungry and it was the first thing we saw.  Although Burger King is familiar to us the food was very different.  I had a chicken sandwich and fries, and even the ketchup had a strange taste.  Another big difference in food is the soft drinks.  They don’t know what pop or soda is, they mostly just have coke or coke light.  None of the drinks here are served with ice and almost everything is in a bottle.  I also tried a German Fanta pop today and it wasn’t the same as in the United States.  It tasted more like Sunny D than a carbonated beverage. 
Some of the buildings around Frankfurt

After we were done shopping we hopped back on the bus and made our way back to the central train station which is about a block from our hotel.  The buildings here are so beautiful and so much different from the United States.  The tour guide on the bus said that about 85% of the population of Frankfurt lives in apartments and there are barely any houses.  Even though they do live in apartments the outsides are older styled and detailed.  Today wasn’t as fast paced as yesterday’s tour but it was nice seeing the city, especially areas we hadn’t seen yet. 

                                                          us girls on the double-decker bus

Tonight we are going out for our last Frankfurt dinner and a local bar owner, Mario, is making us some traditional German food.  They eat a lot of sausage here so he is preparing us a dish with that.  Tomorrow is an early morning as we have to catch our flight to Africa. I don’t know if I’ll be able to update the blog tomorrow because the Airports don’t have free wifi anymore. Also my computer has been going crazy lately and sometimes won’t turn on and makes me restart it.   I hope everyone is doing well in the United States—Miss You Lots!

3 comments:

  1. Only been there a couple of days and you are already tight with the locals...making special food for you and everything! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After seeing the photo of you all on the bus I just realized that I know a couple of the girls that you are with. They were Anatomy interns/TAs. Sweet! Have fun!! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the city scenery. I would skip the Burger Kings/McDonalds and keep trying the local restaurants. However, it is interesting to see how the franchises differ overseas. Happy Travels...BE SAFE

    ReplyDelete